If you live in the south, as we do here at Actsoft, then you know hurricane season is here, and we’re currently faced with the first major storm of the season. Hurricane Dorian is wending its way through the Atlantic, currently along a trajectory that is expected to lead it right into the heart of Florida. The storm continues to increase in strength, with the potential to grow into a powerful Category 4 storm before reaching land. With such ferocity barreling its way here, there’s no time to waste in making preparations.
We’ve written before about the ways to prepare for a storm from a business standpoint. But you and your team also have loved ones to think about, particularly if your home is within a storm’s projected path. Whether it’s Hurricane Dorian or another future tempest, we wanted to share a few tips that can help you weather the storm as comfortably as possible.
- Stock up with at least seven days’ worth of supplies. This includes one gallon of water per person, per day, and non-perishable foods.
- If you have a grill, stock up on extra fuel — gas, propane, charcoal, etc. — in the event that you lose power.
- If you have a back-up generator, keep extra fuel readily available.
- Top off your car’s gas tank.
- Have an evacuation plan in place if necessary, including a reliable route to safety.
- Secure all critical documents — birth certificates, passports, life insurance papers, etc. — in a waterproof safe.
- Keep a stocked first-aid kit, and make sure you have a supply of any prescription medications.
- Have extra cash on hand in the event ATMs become inoperable.
- Other important supplies to keep handy: flashlights/lanterns, battery-powered radio, portable chargers for cell phones/essential devices, and batteries.
For even more tips to help you out during this, or any other, storm, check out the Red Cross’s website. Stay safe and dry this weekend!
Have any questions on how Actsoft can help you?
Call (888) 732-6638 or Receive a Live Webinar